Skip Chipotle and make your own delicious burrito bowls at home! These vegan burrito bowls feature cilantro lime brown rice, fajita veggies, and homemade chickpea walnut taco “meat”. So much flavor and nutrition packed into this meal!
Cilantro Lime Brown Rice
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
Chickpea Walnut Taco Meat
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ⅓ cup white onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ¾ cup California walnut pieces (check the packaging to ensure they’re from the USA or California!)
- ½ tbsp chili powder
- ½ tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ cup salsa
Tahini Lime Sauce
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 1–2 tbsp lime juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 2–3 tbsp cold water
- 2 bell peppers, sliced
- 1 white onion, sliced
- 4 cups romaine lettuce, finely chopped
- 2 avocados, peeled and sliced
- Prepare the rice on the stovetop according to package instructions. When rice is done cooking, stir in the lime juice, salt, and cilantro.
- Prepare the chickpea walnut taco meat. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, cooking for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the walnuts to the pan, stirring to coat them in olive oil. Let the walnuts cook for 2-3 minutes so they become lightly toasted.
- Stir in the chickpeas, salt, and pepper. Cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the salsa and stir to coat everything. Remove from heat, then transfer everything to a food processor.
- Pulse in the food processor 5-10 times to achieve a crumbly, chunky texture.
- Make the sauteed peppers and onions by sauteing the sliced peppers and onions in a frying pan with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- To make the tahini lime sauce, whisk together the tahini, lime juice, salt, and garlic powder. The tahini will thicken up, so just add the cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and stir until desired consistency.
- Assemble the burrito bowls with a scoop of rice, shredded lettuce, chickpea walnut taco meat, peppers and onions, avocado slices, salsa, and a drizzle of tahini sauce. Enjoy!
Keywords: vegan, gluten free, vegan burrito bowls