This simple kale and romaine salad is the perfect side salad to serve with any meal. It features a delicious homemade parmesan vinaigrette! It’s easy to make and ready to eat in about 15 minutes.
- 1 head of romaine
- 1 small bunch of kale – you can use curly kale or lacinato kale
- 3 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp shallot, minced
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- Wash the kale and romaine.
- Thoroughly dry each leaf, either with a clean dish towel or using a salad spinner.
- Chop the romaine and set aside.
- Remove the leaves of kale from the tough stem. Discard the stem and chop the leaves into it bite size pieces.
- Prepare the parmesan vinaigrette: add all of the dressing ingredients to a small jar. Close the jar, then shake it vigorously until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Put the kale in a large salad or mixing bowl. Pour the dressing on the kale, and use your hands to massage the dressing into the kale for about 30 seconds, until the leaves start to soften.
- Add the romaine and mix it in with the kale, so that all the leaves are well coated in the dressing.
- Serve and enjoy!
Can I prepare this salad in advance?
If you want to prepare this salad a day in advance, I recommend leaving it undressed, and adding the dressing right before serving.
While kale does not get soggy when stored with salad dressing, romaine can lose it’s crunch.
Keywords: simple kale and romaine salad, easy side salad, simple side salad