This spring inspired angel hair pasta with shrimp and asparagus is light, fresh, and super satisfying. It’s easy enough for a weeknight dinner, but feels fancy enough for date night in!
- 1 1/2 pounds peeled and deveined raw shrimp
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- Juice of 2 lemons, divided
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup white onion, diced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 bunch asparagus, woody ends removed
- 1 box angel hair pasta
- 1/3 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Toss the shrimp with half the lemon juice and a generous shake of salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil on medium heat in a large nonstick skillet. Add the shrimp to the skillet in an even layer, making sure not to crowd the pan.
- Cook shrimp for 1-2 minutes per side, then remove from the pan and set aside on a plate.
- In the same pan you cooked the shrimp, heat the remaining olive oil and add the garlic and onion with a generous shake of salt and pepper. Cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the red pepper flakes and white wine. Continue cooking until the wine has mostly evaporated, about 2 minutes.
- Add the cherry tomatoes with a splash more olive oil if needed. Cook for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes burst. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
- Blanch the asparagus: bring a large pot of water to a boil. Prepare an ice bath in a mixing bowl with ice and cold water – set it right next to the stove.
- Add asparagus and cook for exactly 30 seconds, then use tongs to remove and place the asparagus spears directly in the ice bath. Once cooled, chop into small, 1 inch pieces.
- Add the asparagus and parsley to the pan with the tomatoes. Stir to combine and reduce heat to low.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions in salted water. Reserve about 1/2 cup of pasta cooking water.
- Strain the pasta and transfer to the pan with vegetables. Add a splash of pasta water, the remaining lemon juice, and a drizzle of olive oil. Gently toss the pasta in the sauce so everything is evenly distributed.
- Serve pasta topped with 4-6 pieces of shrimp and sprinkled with parmesan cheese.
Keywords: angel hair pasta with shrimp and asparagus