These vegan freezer pecan turtles are the most addicting healthy treat! They are easy to make and everyone will love them.
- 1 cup pitted Medjool dates
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk – I used unsweetened soy milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup pecan pieces
- 8 oz dark chocolate
- Maldon sea salt
- Prepare the date caramel. Combine dates, non-dairy milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and salt in a food processor or high speed blender. Blend until completely smooth and creamy, and no date chunks remain.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Create 12 clusters of pecans on top of the parchment paper. Each cluster should be about 1-2 tbsp of nuts.
- Use a spoon to top each pecan cluster with about 1 tbsp of date caramel. Make sure all the pecans are coated with caramel.
- Place the baking sheet in the freezer for 30 minutes. The date caramel won’t harden up completely like regular caramel, but it will become firmer for chocolate dipping.
- Melt the chocolate in a large microwave safe bowl in the microwave. I broke the chocolate up into chunks and cooked for 2 minutes, stopping to stir the chocolate every 30 seconds.
- One at a time, slide each turtle onto a fork. Gently dip the turtle and lower it into the melted chocolate. If it doesn’t completely submerge, use a spoon to drizzle the chocolate over the top.
- Gently scrape the fork on the edge of the bowl to get rid of excess chocolate on the bottom of the turtles.
- Place back on the baking sheet, and sprinkle with a pinch of Maldon sea salt before the chocolate hardens. Repeat for all 12 turtles.
- Return to the freezer for 15-30 minutes so the chocolate sets completely. Enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container in the freezer. You can eat them right from the freezer, or let them sit out for a few minutes before enjoying.
Keywords: pecan turtles, vegan, gluten free