Summer Vegetable Shakshuka (Gluten Free)
This summer vegetable shakshuka is a fresh, flavorful, and super healthy meal! It’s easy to make for any time of day. It’s a great way to celebrate the flavors of fresh summer vegetables.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: serves 2 generously 1x
- Category: breakfast
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 zucchini, sliced into 1/4 inch thick rounds, then quartered
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 4 large tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 3 handfuls baby spinach
- 4 large eggs
- Handful of cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup crumbled goat or feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large oven-safe skillet. Add onion and a generous shake of salt and pepper. Cook for 2-3 minutes until onion is translucent.
- Add garlic, cumin, and paprika. Cook for another minute, stirring, until fragrant.
- Add the zucchini and bell pepper. Cook for 5 minutes until vegetables begin to soften, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in tomatoes and tomato sauce. Mix everything up well, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add spinach, stir to combine, and cook for another 1-2 minutes until spinach is wilted.
- Using the back of your mixing spoon, create 4 wells in the vegetables. Crack one egg into each well.
- Remove from heat and carefully transfer the skillet to the oven.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes, until eggs whites are cooked through and yolk is still runny.
- Serve right away.
- Can be made ahead and reheated in the oven at 300F for 20-30 minutes. Eggs may more so the yolks might not be quite as runny.
Keywords: shakshuka, summer vegetable shakshuka, gluten free