Apple cinnamon steel cut oatmeal is the best warm & cozy breakfast for chilly mornings. Prepared on the stovetop, chewy steel cut oats are seasoned with cinnamon and maple syrup, then topped with soft and tender cinnamon stewed apples. Ready to eat in 30 minutes!
Steel cut oatmeal
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup dry steel cut oats
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
- Heaping 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 medium-large apples, such as Gala, Honeycrisp, or Jonagold
- Scant 1/4 cup water + 2 tbsp water, divided
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of Kosher salt
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- Make the steel cut oats: Bring water to a boil in a medium pot.
- Stir the oats, salt, cinnamon, and maple syrup into the boiling water and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cook the oats, stirring regularly, for 20-25 minutes until thickened. The oats will be done when all the water is absorbed and they have a chewy texture.
- Make the stewed apples as the oats are cooking. Dice apples into 1/4 inch cubes.
- Combine diced apples, 1/4 cup water, maple syrup, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, vanilla extract, and salt in a separate medium pot. Stir to combine.
- Bring the liquid to a gentle boil, then cover the pot and cook for 5-7 minutes until apples are fork tender.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and remaining 2 tbsp water to make a cornstarch slurry.
- Reduce the apple pot heat to low and stir in the cornstarch slurry. This will thicken up the liquid to a syrupy consistency.
- Portion steel cut oats into 4 bowls. Top each bowl with a few generous scoops of the stewed apples.
- Mix the apples into the oats and enjoy!
Store cooked and cooled oats in an airtight container for you to 5 days.
Reheat individual portions in the microwave, with a splash of water or milk, until warmed through.
Freezer: Portion out cooked steel cut oats into muffin tins. Freeze, then transfer the oat “muffins” to a freezer safe container or baggie.
Microwave individual portions of frozen steel cut oats for 2 minutes, then add a splash of liquid and stir. Microwave in 30 second intervals until it is heated through.
Use frozen steel cut oats within 3 months.
Keywords: apple cinnamon steel cut oats, apple steel cut oats, apple steel cut oatmeal, steel cut oatmeal recipe