This vibrant spinach and basil green sauce for pasta is a delicious way to get in your greens. Make it tonight for an easy weeknight dinner win! Ready in 30 minutes or less.
- 6 oz bag of baby spinach
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1 lb rigatoni pasta
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 large cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- 1.5 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Prepare an ice bath with ice and water in a large bowl.
- Add spinach and basil to boiling water and cook for 30 seconds. Use tongs or a slotted spoon to quickly transfer to the blanched greens to the ice bath. Set aside.
- Keep the water boiling, and add the pasta. Cook according to package instructions.
- While the pasta cooks, heat olive oil in a skillet over low-medium heat. Add sliced garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring occasionally, while the pasta cooks, being careful not to burn the garlic.
- To make the sauce, add the blanched spinach and basil, sauteed garlic and olive oil, parmesan cheese, lemon juice, and a generous shake of salt and pepper to a food processor or blender. Blend until completely smooth, with very little chunks remaining. Sauce will be quite liquidy.
- Drain the pasta, reserving 1/2 cup of pasta water. Return the pasta to the hot pot or a large mixing bowl.
- Pour sauce over the pasta and add a few tablespoons of the reserved pasta water. Toss well to distribute the sauce so that each noodle is evenly coated.
- Serve immediately, with shredded parmesan cheese if desired.
- This pasta tastes good cold and keeps well in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Keywords: green pasta sauce, vegetarian, gluten free