Make this simple and healthy salmon and farro bowl recipe for lunch or dinner today! Whole grain farro is delicious mixed with warm cherry tomatoes and feta cheese, especially paired with baked salmon. Easy enough for a weeknight meal, and perfect for meal prep!
- 1 3/4 pounds salmon, cut into 4 pieces
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme
Tomato Feta Farro
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Put the salmon filets on a large plate. Add lemon juice, fresh thyme leaves, and a generous shake of salt and pepper. Let it sit while the oven preheats, then transfer the salmon, skin side down, to the lined baking sheet.
- Bake salmon for 10-15 minutes, until it reaches an internal temperature of 145 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, prepare farro according to package instructions (see notes for farro cooking tips).
- In a saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the cherry tomatoes, fresh thyme, and a generous shake of salt and pepper.
- Cook for about 10 minutes until the tomatoes are softened, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Add the cooked farro to the saute pan with the tomatoes. Then add the fresh parsley and feta cheese.
- Stir the farro mixture all together. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve a portion of farro topped with a salmon filet. Garnish with more fresh herbs, if desired!
Farro cooking instructions
There are three types of farro available: whole farro, semi-pearled farro, and pearled farro. Whole farro takes the longest to cook (about 40 minutes), and pearled farro takes the least amount of time to cook (about 15 minutes).
Here is my favorite easy way to cook farro:
- Combine 1 cup of farro with 2 cups of water in a pot. Add a generous pinch of salt.
- Bring water to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover.
- Cook farro for about 15 minutes until grains are tender and chewy.
- Drain any excess water from the pot and fluff farro with a fork.
- Season however you please and add to your recipe.
Ingredient and dietary restriction substitution suggestions
- Make it gluten free. Swap out the farro for a gluten free grain, such as quinoa or wild rice.
- Make it vegan. Cook your favorite tofu recipe instead of the salmon, and omit the feta cheese/use a vegan feta cheese.
- Make it dairy free. Omit the feta cheese or use vegan feta cheese.
- Pair farro with a different fish/seafood, such as halibut or shrimp.
- If you can’t find farro, quinoa, buckwheat, and wild rice are all good farro substitutes for this recipe.
Keywords: salmon and farro, farro bowl with salmon, salmon with farro