This creamy roasted pumpkin apple soup is filled with comforting flavors like rosemary and nutmeg. Made without cream, it is still silky smooth. This easy vegan recipe takes just about one hour to make, and is a nutritious addition to your weeknight dinner line up.
- 1 sugar or pie pumpkin (about 1 or 2 pounds)
- Olive oil
- 1 medium Granny smith apple
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup fresh rosemary
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the top stem off the pumpkin, then cut the pumpkin in half. Scoop out the seeds and discard.
- Drizzle the pumpkin flesh with olive oil and a shake of salt and pepper.
- Place pumpkin cut side down in the middle of the prepared baking sheet. Roast for 25 minutes.
- While pumpkin is in the oven, roughly chop the apple and onion (removing apple seeds), and peel the garlic cloves.
- In a medium mixing bowl, toss the apple, onion, and garlic with a generous drizzle of olive oil, salt, pepper, nutmeg, turmeric, and paprika.
- Remove the pumpkin from the oven, and add the chopped apple, onion, and garlic to the baking sheet. Top with fresh rosemary and return to the oven. Roast for another 15-20 minutes, until pumpkin is easily pierced with a fork.
- Remove from the oven and carefully flip the pumpkin halves over so the flesh side is up, letting it cool.
- When cool enough to handle, scoop out the pumpkin from the skin and add it to a high powered blender. Add the rest of the roasted items and the vegetable broth to the blender.
- Blend on high for about 1 minute, until completely smooth.
- Pour directly from the blender into bowls to serve. Garnish with pepitas if desired.
Recipe variations and tips
- If you don’t have sugar pumpkin available to you, you can make this recipe with butternut squash or kabocha squash.
- Try another hardy herb instead of rosemary, such as sage or thyme.
- This soup is quite creamy. If you want to thinner consistency, add 1-2 cups more of vegetable broth.
- To make this soup with an immersion blender, transfer all roasted vegetables and apple to a large stock pot. Pour in the vegetable broth and use your immersion blender to blend it all together.
Storing pumpkin apple soup
Fridge: Store in an airtight container (preferably glass) for up to 5 days. Reheat in the microwave for 1-2 minutes.
Freezer: You can freeze this soup for up to 3 months. Let the soup cool to room temperature, then portion into individual servings in airtight containers or baggies and freeze. When ready to eat, let the soup thaw in the fridge then heat in the microwave.
Keywords: pumpkin apple soup, puree pumpkin soup, vegan pumpkin soup, vegan soup recipe