Roast up these two root vegetables, beets and parsnips, for an easy and nutritious side dish to serve with a holiday meal or weeknight dinner. This recipe calls for simple ingredients, and is ready to eat in under an hour.
- 3 large beets
- 4 large parsnips
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp pepper, divided
- 10 sprigs of fresh thyme or rosemary
- 2 tbsp pepitas
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wash and peel the beets and parsnips.
- Place beets and parsnips in two separate mixing bowls. Toss each of them with 1 tbsp olive oil, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/8 tsp pepper.
- Spread out beets onto the lined baking sheet and roast in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove the beets after 25 minutes and push them to one half of the baking sheet with a wooden spoon.
- Add the parsnips to the other half and scatter the fresh thyme sprigs on top of the vegetables.
- Roast for another 35-40 minutes until beets and parsnips are fork tender, and parsnips are a nice golden brown.
- While the vegetables roast, toast the pepitas on the stovetop. Place them in a nonstick skillet over medium heat, tossing occasionally until they start to brown and become fragrant. Remove from heat.
- Transfer the vegetables to a bowl and top with pepitas, a drizzle of olive oil, and a sprinkle of salt.
Ingredient substitution suggestions
- You can swap our beets or parsnips for other root vegetables, or add in more to the mix! This recipe would be great with carrots or sweet potato. Note that cooking time may vary slightly depending on what root vegetables you use.
- Add crumbled goat cheese or feta for an added flavor boost (note recipe will not be vegan or dairy free).
- Use toasted walnuts, pistachios, or sliced almonds in place of pepitas (note recipe will not be nut free).
- Add a homemade sauce or dressing to add a big punch of flavor.