This raw turnip salad is a delicious turnip recipe and easy side salad idea for your next meal. It features turnips and other nutritious ingredients like arugula, pear, and toasted pecans. Dress the salad in a simple apple cider vinaigrette and top with homemade parmesan crisps. Ready to eat in 20 minutes!
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 5 oz arugula
- 1 Bosc pear, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups of turnips, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans
Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread the shredded parmesan cheese out in a thin layer on the parchment paper, so the cheese shreds are all touching and overlapping with each other.
- Bake the parmesan cheese in the oven for 4-6 minutes, until the color becomes a golden yellow.
- Remove from the oven and let the cheese cool to room temperature. It will harden as it cools.
- Use your hands to break up the parmesan cheese into small pieces.
- Make the vinaigrette: put all of the dressing ingredients in a small jar. Close the jar and shake it vigorously until everything is emulsified together.
- Assemble the salad in a large salad bowl with the arugula, sliced pear, sliced turnips, and toasted pecans.
- Add the vinaigrette to the salad and toss it up so everything is well coated in the dressing.
- Portion out the salad onto salad plates or bowls, and then top each serving with a handful of parmesan crisps to serve.
Can I prepare this recipe in advance?
You can prepare this recipe up to one day in advance. I recommend storing all the ingredients separately in small plastic or glass containers in the fridge. Store the parmesan crisps in an airtight container at room temperature.
Then, when you are ready to serve, assemble the ingredients, add the dressing, serve and top with the crispy parmesan.
Keywords: turnip salad, raw turnip salad, what are turnips, what to do with turnips