This zucchini omelette with mozzarella cheese and basil is quick, simple, and delicious. It’s perfect when you are craving a protein-packed breakfast, brunch, or lunch for one. Pair it with your favorite side salad and some toast for a well-balanced meal.
- 1 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup zucchini, cut into half moons
- 1/4 cup shallot, sliced
- 1/4 cup basil, chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat 1/2 tbsp olive oil on medium heat in an 8-inch nonstick skillet.
- Cook the zucchini and shallots in the olive oil or 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until zucchini is fork tender.
- Stir in the basil at the end of cooking the vegetables. Transfer them to a plate and wipe the pan clean.
- Heat the remaining olive oil (or a little butter) in the cleaned pan on low-medium heat.
- Whisk the eggs together with a fork in a small bowl.
- Pour the eggs into the heated skillet and cook undisturbed for about 1 minute until the edges start to set.
- Use a rubber spatula to lift the edges away from the pan, tilting the pan as you do so. This will allow the uncooked egg on top to slide to the bottom of the pan so it cooks.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese onto the omelette, then add the cooked vegetables to one side.
- Use the spatula to gently fold the omelette in half, creating a half circle.
- Slide the omelette out of the pan and onto a plate to enjoy. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Tip: Don’t overstuff your omelette! It should have just enough filling so you get veggies with each bite, but shouldn’t fall apart due to overstuffing.
Keywords: zucchini omelette, veggie omelette, how to cook an omelette with veggies