This nourishing vegetable soup with is packed with nutrient-dense ingredients like whole grain farro, chickpeas, carrots, and kale. It’s easy to make and comes together in under one hour in one pot on the stovetop. Serve with some crusty bread for a healthy and comforting meal.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup white onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 2 cups carrots, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Kosher salt
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 3/4 cup pearled farro
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 packed cups curly kale, chopped
- Shredded parmesan cheese, for serving
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large stock pot.
- Add onion, celery, carrots, and garlic, and a generous pinch of salt and a few grinds of pepper.
- Cook for about five minutes, until vegetables begin to soften, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic powder, smoked paprika, Italian seasoning, and tomato paste. Stir everything together and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the bell pepper and pearled farro. Toss everything together and let the farro toast for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the canned diced tomatoes and vegetable broth. Give everything a good stir. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover.
- Cook for 25-30 minutes, until farro is cooked through – it will be tender yet still chewy when done.
- Stir in the chickpeas and kale. Cover and cook for another five minutes on low heat until kale is wilted.
- Portion into bowls for serving. Sprinkle with shredded parmesan cheese, if desired.
If you need a gluten free farro substitute, try making this soup with an equal amount of brown rice, quinoa, or wild rice. Adjust cooking time according to how long your grain needs to cook.
This soup keeps well stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days. Reheat individual portions in the microwave for 1-2 minutes, or until warmed through.
Freezing soup: You can freeze this soup in a freezer-safe container for up to three months. Let soup cool completely before freezing. I like to use wide mouth glass jars or leak-proof silicone baggies to freeze soup.
Keywords: farro vegetable soup, farro recipes, healthy soup recipes, veggie soup