This cabbage and farro soup with white beans is cozy, nutritious, and easy to prepare in one pot on the stovetop. A spoonful of basil pesto swirled into the soup makes it extra flavorful and delicious! A healthy broth-based soup recipe you’re sure to love.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2/3 cup white onion, diced
- 2/3 cup carrot, peeled and diced
- 2/3 cup celery, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups green cabbage, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 cup pearled farro
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 15 ounce can of white beans, such as cannellini beans or navy beans, drained and rinsed
- Salt and pepper
- 4–6 tbsp green pesto, divided, for serving. Either store bought or homemade
- Grated parmesan cheese, for serving (optional)
- In a large 8 quart stock pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion, carrots, celery, and garlic to the pot with a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Cook the vegetables for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally until onions are translucent. Light browning is OK.
- Add the sliced cabbage and thyme to the pot and stir everything together. You’ll want to sweat the cabbage for about 5 minutes to bring out the flavors without major browning. Stir occasionally.
- Add the pearled farro, vegetable broth, and water to the pot. Stir everything together.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover the pot.
- Cook the soup for 25-30 minutes, covered, until farro is cooked through. Properly cooked farro is soft but still has a nice chew, and keeps its shape.
- Taste and season with more salt and pepper as needed.
- Stir in the white beans. Cook for another 5 minutes so the beans heat up.
- Ladle soup into bowls and serve with a tablespoon of pesto stirred right into the soup. Add grated parmesan cheese as desired.
Storing cabbage farro soup
Have leftover soup? Put it in a food storage container and refrigerate for up to five days.
Reheat individual portions of soup in the microwave for 1-2 minutes, until heated through. Stir in pesto after the soup has been reheated.
Keywords: cabbage farro soup, cabbage soup, healthy soup recipes, vegetarian soup recipes