This kale & mushroom farro risotto recipe is creamy, hearty, and comforting. Farro risotto, aka farrotto, is a nutritious twist on traditional risotto, but just as delicious! Enjoy this vegetarian meal for your next at home date night.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 medium shallots, diced
- 4 0z shiitake mushrooms, sliced (substitute cremini or button mushrooms if you can’t find shiitake)
- 1/2 tbsp dried rosemary
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cup farro
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or water
- 3 cups kale, chopped
- 32 oz vegetable stock or broth
- Heaping 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped for serving
- Heat the olive oil and butter over medium heat in a heavy-bottomed pot. Add the shallots and cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- To the pot, add the shiitake mushrooms, dried rosemary, and a generous pinch of kosher salt and pepper. Cook mushrooms for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are deep brown and soft.
- Add the dry farro to the pot and stir. Then pour in the white wine or water. Cook for about a minute, stirring, letting the farro absorb the wine until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Add kale and the vegetable stock to the pot. Give everything a good stir to combine the ingredients.
- Bring to a rolling boil, then reduce to a low simmer. Cover the pot.
- Every 10-15 minutes, uncover and stir everything well. Repeat 3-4 times – you will notice that the amount of liquid reduces the longer the risotto cooks.
- After about an hour, there will be very little liquid left. Remove the cover and stir everything up well, helping the farro to release its starches.
- Stir in the shredded parmesan cheese and add more salt to taste.
- Let farro risotto sit for 3-5 minutes to thicken up a bit more.
- Portion out into bowls and garnish generously with fresh parsley and freshly cracked pepper.
Storage and reheating
If you want to prepare it in advance or store leftovers, keep the risotto in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days.
To reheat, portion out a serving of risotto into a microwave safe bowl. Pop it in the microwave for 1 minute – 1 minute 30 seconds until it is warmed through.
Keywords: farro risotto, farotto, mushroom farro risotto, is farro healthy, farro nutrition