I’ve got an easy trick for how to make creamy and fluffy scrambled eggs: add cottage cheese! These mushroom & herb cottage cheese scrambled eggs taste like a fancy breakfast dish you’d order at a restaurant, yet they are so easy to make. Eggs and cottage cheese are both protein-rich foods, so this recipe packs 20 grams of protein to keep you full all morning.
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup cottage cheese, preferably full fat
- 1/4 cup shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms, such as baby bella or cremini
- 1/2 tbsp thyme
- Olive oil or butter
- Crack the two eggs into a small mixing bowl. Add the cottage cheese, a generous pinch of salt, and a few cracks of pepper.
- Using a fork or small whisk, vigorously whisk the eggs and cottage cheese to combine them, until the egg whites and yolks are combined and the mixture is a bit frothy. Set aside.
- Heat a little bit of olive oil or a pat of butter in an 8-inch nonstick skillet, over medium heat.
- Once the skillet is heated, add the shallot, mushrooms, thyme, and a pinch of salt.
- Cook the shallots, mushrooms, and thyme in the skillet for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are dark brown and shiny.
- Give the egg and cottage cheese mixture a quick whisk, then pour it into the skillet.
- Cook the eggs for a few minutes, using a rubber spatula to push them around the pan, until your desired doneness.
- Slide the eggs onto a plate for serving and top with a pinch crunchy sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, if desired.
If you’re trying to have a sweet AND savory moment (perfect for weekend brunch), pair these cottage cheese scrambled eggs with my lemon blueberry pancakes, banana baked oatmeal cups, or roasted strawberry whipped ricotta toast!