Did you know you can make creamy, thick, and protein-packed Greek yogurt (aka strained yogurt) at home with just one single ingredient? Learn how to make homemade Greek yogurt from regular store bought yogurt with my easy step-by-step guide, including a video and photos. There is absolutely no cooking required, and you don’t need any special equipment – just a strainer, cheesecloth, and a bowl!
- 32 oz container of plain regular yogurt, any fat content
- Place a fine mesh strainer over a medium sized bowl.
- Line the mesh strainer with 2 pieces of finely woven cheesecloth. I used 100 grade.
- Scoop all the regular yogurt into the cheesecloth-lined strainer.
- Gather the edges of the cheesecloth and gently secure them around the yogurt with a bag clip or rubber band.
- Set in the fridge to strain for at least 5-8 hours, depending on fat content of the yogurt (see notes for details).
- Once your yogurt is to your desired thickness and consistency, remove the yogurt from the cheesecloth using a spoon or rubber spatula and put it in an airtight container or jar for storage.
Straining time guidelines
- Reduced fat or nonfat yogurt: Start checking the consistency by scooping the yogurt with a spoon between 8-12 hours. If you want it even thicker, strain for 18-24 hours.
- Full fat yogurt: Start checking the consistency after 5-7 hours. For even thicker yogurt, strain for 12-18 hours.
The longer you let the yogurt strain, the thicker and creamier it becomes.