These lemon blueberry baked oatmeal cups are a delightful healthy breakfast option. Ready in under an hour, meal prep a batch for a week of nutritious meals or snacks. These baked oatmeal cups are vegan and gluten free, too!
- 2 tbsp ground flax seed
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 4 tbsp lemon juice (juice of 2 lemons)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 3/4 cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a muffin pan by spraying with oil or lining with cupcake liners.
- Combine the ground flax with almond milk, maple syrup, lemon juice, and vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl. Let sit for a few minutes while you prep the dry ingredients.
- Mix together the oats, baking powder, and salt in another mixing bowl.
- Pour the dry mixture over the wet mixture and stir it all up.
- Add the lemon zest and fold in the blueberries.
- Equally portion out the oat batter into the 12 muffin cups, filling about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until edges begin to turn golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of an oatmeal cup.
- Let cool for at least 10 minutes, then run a butterknife around the circumference of each muffin to loosen it from the tin (if not using cupcake liners).
- Pop the oatmeal cups out from the muffin pan and enjoy!
Storing baked oatmeal cups
- This recipe works wonderfully for meal prepping. They taste good warm or right from the fridge, and they’ll stay fresh for up to 5 days in the fridge. I put them in an airtight container once they’ve cooled completely.
- You can also freeze baked oatmeal cups. Place them in an airtight container or silicone baggie, or tightly wrap them individually in plastic wrap, then tin foil. They will stay fresh in the freezer for 2-3 months. Thaw them in the microwave or toaster oven before enjoying from frozen.
Substitution suggestions and ideas
- . Make these lemon raspberry or lemon mixed berry baked oatmeal cups.
- Make lemon blueberry baked oatmeal instead of baked oatmeal cups. To turn this into a baked oatmeal recipe, just put the batter in a ceramic baking dish instead of a muffin pan. Bake it up for about 30 minutes!
- Make it higher protein. Use two eggs instead of flax meal (if not vegan), or add a scoop of your favorite unsweetened or vanilla protein powder to the batter.
- Try fresh orange juice and orange zest for a different citrus flavor profile instead of lemon.
Keywords: baked oatmeal cups, lemon blueberry, flaxmeal