This salad will be your new favorite way to eat kale! For this recipe, you’ll toss kale in a homemade, dairy free Caesar dressing and top it with crunchy roasted chickpeas. This recipe is perfect for meal prep!
- 1 can low sodium chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- Large bunch of kale, stems removed and chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 avocado
For the Caesar dressing
- 3/4 cup raw cashews, soaked in hot water 10 minutes, then drained
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- Preheat oven to 415 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a clean tea towel, thoroughly dry the chickpeas, and remove as many skins as possible.
- Toss the chickpeas in the avocado oil. Roast for 20-25 minutes, until browned and crispy.
- Once chickpeas are removed from the oven, toss with salt, pepper, and spices.
- While the chickpeas roast, prepare Caesar dressing. Combine all dressing ingredients in a high powered blender or food processor. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Place kale in a large mixing bowl, and pour in about half of the dressing. Use your hands to massage the kale leaves for 3-5 minutes, until they begin to feel soft and tender. Add more dressing as desired.
- Divide kale into bowls, and top with chickpeas and pieces of avocado.
- You may have leftover dressing – save it for another salad!
- The massaged kale will keep well in the fridge, so it’s a great recipe to meal prep for the week.
- The roasted chickpeas enjoyed fresh, and are best stored at room temperature for only 1-2 days. They begin to lose their crunch with time.
Keywords: kale caesar salad, kale, dairy free caesar dressing, homemade caesar dressing, gluten free