These healthy homemade Reese’s Take 5 Candy bars are bursting with pretzels, peanuts, caramel, and peanut butter and coated in luscious dark chocolate. Make them to enjoy for Halloween, or any time!
Peanut butter layer
- 2/3 cup creamy natural peanut butter
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp almond flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
Date caramel layer
- 1 cup pitted Medjool dates, soaked in warm water for 10+ minutes
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp almond flour
- 24 square pretzels
- 1/4 cup roasted unsalted peanuts
- 8 oz dark chocolate
- Flaky sea salt
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix together the peanut butter layer ingredients in a small bowl. The mixture should be thick enough to form into patties that hold their shape.
- Using your hands, form 24 patties from the peanut butter mixture about the size of the square pretzels. Gently press one peanut butter patty into each of the pretzels.
- Place the pretzels on the prepared baking sheet, and transfer to the freezer for 30 minutes to harden.
- While the peanut butter layer sets in the freezer, prepare the date caramel. Drain the dates of the hot water, and add them to a food processor, along with the vanilla extract.
- Blend until a smooth paste forms from the dates. You may need to scrape down the sides of the food processor bowl a few times. It’s OK if the date paste is not completely smooth – some small chunks of dates are fine.
- Mix the date paste with the almond flour. Add a dollop of the date caramel paste on top of each candy.
- Press 3-4 peanuts into the date caramel paste. Return to the freezer to set for 30 minutes.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave or using a double boiler.
- To coat the candies in chocolate, use a fork to lower the candy into the melted chocolate. Use a spoon to cover the top if it doesn’t fully submerge in the melted chocolate.
- Sprinkle each piece with sea salt before the chocolate hardens.
- Return the candies to the freezer for a few minutes to allow the chocolate to set completely.
- Best stored in the fridge or freezer in an airtight container.
Keywords: take 5 candy bars, vegan, gluten free