Thick and hearty carrot potato soup is easy to make in one pot on the stovetop. It’s a vegan soup packed with nutritious ingredients including potatoes, carrots, celery, and kale. Top the soup with parsley gremolata for a fresh and zesty flavor.
Carrot Potato Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 large carrots, peeled and sliced into circles or half-circles (about 3 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups celery, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups white onion, diced
- 2 medium russet potatoes, scrubbed and diced into 1/2 inch cubes (3–4 cups)
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 10–12 sprigs fresh thyme, bundled together with twine or an elastic band
- 3 packed cups kale leaves
- 1/2 cup parsley
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 large garlic clove, grated
- Pinch of salt
- In a stock pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the carrots, celery, and onion to the pot. Cook for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent.
- Add the potatoes, paprika, red pepper flakes, and a generous pinch of Kosher salt and pepper. Stir everything together so the vegetables are coated in the seasoning. Cook for about 1 minute until seasonings are fragrant.
- Pour the vegetable broth into the pot and add the bundle of thyme. Give everything a stir.
- Bring to a rolling boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cover.
- Cook the soup covered for 18-23 minutes, until the potatoes are soft and fork tender.
- Remove the bundle of thyme leaves and discard.
- Use a ladle to transfer about 5 cups of the soup to a blender. Blend until smooth and creamy. *You can also use an immersion blender to blend up the soup partially right in the pot.
- Pour the blended soup right back into the pot and stir it all together.
- Add the kale and continue to cook for about five minutes until the kale has wilted.
- Taste the soup and add more salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve bowls of soup topped with a generous sprinkle of gremolata (instructions below).
To make gremolata:
- Wash and thoroughly dry parsley.
- Finely chop the parsley – chop it as finely as you can!
- Add the lemon zest, grated garlic, and salt to the parsley.
- Use your hands to mix it all together.
What to serve with carrot potato soup
I love to pair this soup with a hunk of sourdough bread. It would also be delicious with cornbread or garlic bread on the side. Add a simple salad on the side for a larger meal that is abundant in vegetables!
To add a boost of protein to a meal with vegetable soup, you can bake up a frittata or mini frittatas in a muffin tin.
How to store leftover soup
Transfer leftover soup to an airtight container. Let it cool to room temperature on the countertop, then cover and pop it in the fridge. Soup will keep for 3-5 days in the fridge, or up to 3 months in the freezer.
Reheat this soup in the microwave portioned out into a microwave-safe bowl. Heat for 1-2 minutes until heated through.
Keywords: carrot potato soup, carrot and potato soup, vegan soup recipes, vegetable soup recipes