Veggie lovers and veggie skeptics alike will enjoy this roasted vegetable pasta sauce! Eggplant, zucchini, and bell pepper are diced small then roasted in the oven until browned, giving the vegetables an irresistible sweet and caramelized flavor. The vegetables get super soft when roasted, so they meld right into your favorite marinara sauce. Ready in 45 minutes or less for an easy and healthy weeknight meal!
Use my simple homemade marinara sauce, or use your favorite store bought jar.
- 3 cups eggplant, diced small
- 2 cups zucchini, diced small
- 1 bell pepper, diced small
- 2 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced into rounds
- 1–2 tbsp olive oil
- 24 oz jar marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- PREP: Preheat the oven to 410°F. Line a baking half sheet with parchment paper.
- Ensure your vegetables are diced into 1/4 inch pieces. Put them in a mixing bowl with the olive oil and a generous pinch of salt and pepper.
- Toss the vegetables so that they are coated in the olive oil – they should be glossy but not sopping in oil.
- Transfer the vegetables to the baking sheet. Spread them out in a single layer, leaving a bit of room between each piece. Use two baking sheets if they vegetables are overlapping and overcrowded.
- Roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes, until you notice crispy browning on the outsides.
- While the vegetables roast, heat up the marinara sauce in a saute pan or large saucepan over low heat. Stir in the basil. Stir occasionally.
- Transfer the roasted vegetables to the marinara sauce. Use a spoon to stir them in until combined.
- Add cooked pasta right to the pan!
Makes enough sauce for 1 lb cooked pasta.
If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days.
Reheat individual portions in the microwave for 1-2 minutes until warmed through. Cover the bowl with a paper towel in the microwave to avoid splatters.
Freeze: You can freeze this pasta sauce in a freezer safe baggie or airtight container for up to three months. If using a baggie, squeeze out as much air as possible.
Defrost in the fridge overnight, then reheat in a pan on the stovetop until warmed through.
Keywords: roasted vegetable pasta sauce, healthy pasta sauce, roasted veg pasta sauce