Healthy Hot Cocoa Cookies (Vegan, Gluten Free)
These healthy hot cocoa cookies are bursting with rich chocolate flavor and topped with toasted marshmallow. It’s the perfect healthy treat to cozy up with on a cold winter’s night!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 16-20 cookies 1x
- Category: desserts
- 2 tbsp flax meal
- 6 tbsp warm water
- 1 cup creamy natural peanut butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tbsp strong brewed coffee
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chunks
- 8–10 large marshmallows, cut in half
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Whisk together flax meal and warm water in a small bowl to form flax eggs. Let sit for 5 minutes to obtain a gel-like consistency.
- Mix together the flax eggs, peanut butter, maple syrup, coffee, and vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together the oat flour, cocoa powder, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir to combine everything.
- Fold in the chocolate chunks.
- Use your hands to form golf ball sized balls of cookie dough. Place the balls on the prepared baking sheet, then gently press them down into thick patties.
- Bake on the middle oven rack for 9-11 minutes, then remove from the oven. Place one marshmallow half on top of each cookie, pressing down gently.
- Switch the oven to broil and return the baking sheet to the top rack of the oven. Cook for an additional 30 seconds – 1 minute, or until the marshmallows turn light golden brown.
- Let cool for 10 minutes, then transfer cookies to a wire cooking rack to cool completely.
- Repeat with the second batch of cookies.
Store in the fridge in an airtight container.
Keywords: healthy hot cocoa cookies, vegan, gluten free