These healthy hot cocoa cookies are bursting with rich chocolate flavor and topped with toasted marshmallow. It’s the perfect healthy treat to cozy up with on a cold winter’s night!
- 2 tbsp flax meal (to make flax eggs)
- 6 tbsp warm water
- 1 cup creamy natural peanut butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tbsp strong brewed coffee
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chunks
- 8–10 large marshmallows, cut in half
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Whisk together flax meal and warm water in a small bowl to form flax eggs. Let sit for 5 minutes to obtain a gel-like consistency.
- Mix together the flax eggs, peanut butter, maple syrup, coffee, and vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together the oat flour, cocoa powder, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir to combine everything.
- Fold in the chocolate chunks.
- Use your hands to form golf ball sized balls of cookie dough. Place the balls on the prepared baking sheet, then gently press them down into thick patties.
- Bake on the middle oven rack for 9-11 minutes, then remove from the oven. Place one marshmallow half on top of each cookie, pressing down gently.
- Switch the oven to broil and return the baking sheet to the top rack of the oven. Cook for an additional 30 seconds – 1 minute, or until the marshmallows turn light golden brown.
- Let cool for 10 minutes, then transfer cookies to a wire cooking rack to cool completely.
- Repeat with the second batch of cookies.
Store in the fridge in an airtight container.
Keywords: healthy hot cocoa cookies, vegan, gluten free