This protein-packed healthy egg salad recipe is made with Greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise, so it’s still creamy and delicious! It’s an easy recipe that comes together quickly, and made with a handful of simple ingredients.
- 4 large eggs
- 1/3 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp dill, chopped
- 1 tbsp chives, chopped
- Kosher salt
- Boil eggs for 11 minutes in boiling water. (See notes for detailed instructions).
- Place eggs in a bowl filled with ice water immediately after boiling. Let them cool for 10 minutes.
- Peel the hard boiled eggs. (See notes for detailed instructions).
- Cut eggs in half the long way.
- Use a spoon to scoop out the yolks into a small bowl.
- Chop up the egg whites into small chunks, about 1/4 inch pieces.
- To the bowl with the egg yolks, add Greek yogurt, Dijon mustard, dill, chives, and a generous pinch of salt and pepper.
- Mix this all up until everything is creamy and cohesive.
- Add the chopped egg whites and mix them in.
- Add more salt and pepper to taste.
How to boil eggs for egg salad
This method yields perfectly firm but not overcooked boiled eggs you can use to make egg salad.
- Bring about five cups of water to a rolling boil in a 2 quart pot.
- Use a large slotted spoon to gently lower the eggs into the boiling water.
- Reduce the heat just slightly to a more gentle boil.
- Boil the eggs for 11 minutes.
- After 11 minutes is up, immediately transfer the eggs to a bowl of ice water to quickly stop the cooking process.
- Let the eggs chill for about ten minutes before peeling.
How to easily peel hard boiled eggs
Once you’ve boiled your eggs, you need to peel them to make your egg salad. This is the easiest way to peel hard boiled eggs quickly and efficiently.
- Dry off a boiled egg with a clean dish towel and dry your hands.
- Gently but firmly tap the top and bottom points of the egg so that they crack.
- Put the egg on the countertop so it is lying down the long way. Gently roll the egg against the countertop back and forth a few times so small cracks form all around.
- Then just peel off the cracked egg shell and discard!
Can I prepare egg salad in advance?
Yes, you can make egg salad up to three days in advance. Store it in an airtight container in the fridge. You may need to give it a stir before serving to re-mix everything up.
Keywords: healthy egg salad, egg salad without mayo, egg salad with Greek yogurt