Halloumi, Couscous and Roasted Vegetable Salad
Salty, crunchy halloumi cheese combines with pearl couscous and roasted vegetables for a simple yet unique home cooked meal. You’ll pan fry the halloumi, giving it an irresistible crispy exterior, just like you’d order at a restaurant!
Halloumi is popular cheese in Greece and the Middle East.
It’s prepared and served after it has been grilled or pan fried.
Halloumi is unique because of its high melting point. It won’t melt when you cook it, so it retains its shape and texture.
Halloumi is salty, crunchy on the outside, creamy on the inside, and a little squeaky when you bite it. Everything about this cheese makes it totally addicting!
Grilled halloumi has become one of my favorite things to order when I see it on a menu at a restaurant.
Tatte Bakery in Boston makes one of the best halloumi salads, and I order this a few times a month when I grab lunch there!
I’ve had halloumi out so many times, and finally decided to try making it for myself at home.
How to Pan Fry Halloumi
- Slice halloumi into ¼ inch slices
- Use a clean tea towel to pat the extra moisture out of each slice
- Heat a little olive oil in a skillet on medium heat
- Place slices of halloumi in the pan and cook each side until browned and crispy, about 2-3 minutes each
Since halloumi packs so much salty flavor on its own, I paired it with more mild flavors of pearl couscous and simple roasted vegetables.
A sprinkle of fresh parsley and lemon juice bring everything together!
A Few Recipe Notes
- Whatever vegetables you have on hand will work in place of zucchini and cherry tomatoes.
- Patting the halloumi dry helps give it that super crispy texture when fried, don’t skip this step.
- The couscous and vegetables can be prepared ahead, but pan fried halloumi is best served immediately as it will harden as it sits.
This restaurant worthy halloumi salad is packed with simple ingredients and delicious flavor.
- 1 zucchini, sliced into rounds
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 ½ tbsp olive oil, divided
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 cup pearl couscous
- 6 ¼ inch slices of halloumi cheese, from one block,
- 3 cups baby spinach
- ½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 410 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss zucchini, cherry tomatoes and garlic with 1 tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 20-25 minutes until browned, flipping vegetables halfway through cooking.
- Prepare pearl couscous according to package instructions.
- Assemble salad plates before pan frying halloumi – evenly divide baby spinach, couscous and roasted vegetables amongst two plates.
- Pat dry each slice of halloumi with a clean tea towel.
- Pan fry halloumi with the remaining ½ tbsp olive oil in a skillet on medium heat. Cook each side about 2-3 minutes until browned and crispy.
- Top each salad plate with 3 slices of halloumi. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and a generous squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
- Serve immediately.
Keywords: halloumi couscous salad, halloumi salad, pan fried halloumi cheese
If you love this recipe, you may also like
- Spring Pasta with Lemon, Asparagus and Mushrooms
- Chickpea and Roasted Vegetable Salad
- Butternut Squash and Cauliflower Chana Masala