Looking for a super fast, nutritious, and delicious healthy breakfast? Microwave old fashioned oats takes two minutes to prepare! Oatmeal is a good source of dietary fiber, and is the perfect vehicle for all kinds of delicious toppings to add flavor, texture, and more nutrients.
- 1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup water
- Add oats, chia seeds, salt, and cinnamon to a microwave safe bowl with high edges. Stir it up.
- Add the water.
- Microwave for 1 minute 45 seconds.
- Stir right away after you remove the oatmeal from the microwave.
- Add your favorite toppings and enjoy!
How to keep oatmeal from boiling over in microwave
The best way to prevent oatmeal from spilling over in the microwave is to use a deep enough bowl. The walls of the bowl should be at least 3 inches taller than the oatmeal before it is cooked.
If you are using a shallow bowl, microwave the oatmeal in 30 second increments, and keep a close eye until it is finished cooking.
If you have leftover cooked oatmeal, you can store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days.
Reheat oatmeal in the microwave in a microwave safe bowl for 1 minute, or until warmed all the way through. Add a splash of milk if the oatmeal is too thick and tough.
Healthy oatmeal toppings
Once you have your bowl of microwave oatmeal, you can load up on the toppings! These healthy toppings not only add flavor, but also additional nutrients like vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, healthy fats, and protein.
- Fresh fruit: blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, banana, apple, mango, pomegranate seeds
- Dried fruit: raisins, dried cranberries, dates, dried figs, dried blueberries, shredded coconut
- Nuts and seeds: toasted almonds, toasted pecans, hemp seeds, ground flax seeds, pistachios, walnuts, sunflower seeds
- Nut butter: peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter, tahini
- Spices: ginger, cardamom, turmeric, nutmeg
- Dairy: a splash of milk (or plant-based milk), a dollop of Greek yogurt, a dollop of labne
Keywords: microwave oatmeal, how to microwave oatmeal, old fashioned oats, microwave rolled oats