Smashed brussels sprouts get super crispy cooked in the air fryer. This simple and nutritious side dish makes Brussels sprouts taste amazing! Ready to eat in 30 minutes or less.
- 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- Trim the hard ends off Brussels sprouts. Wash them and pick off any outer leaves that are dirty or blemished.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the Brussels sprouts and parboil them for 5-8 minutes, until soft enough to smash but not fully cooked. Transfer them to an ice bath to stop them from cooking.
- Dry off the Brussels sprouts with a clean towel and place them on a cutting board.
- Use the bottom of a thick drinking glass to smash each Brussels sprout until it is flattened.
- Transfer smashed Brussels sprouts to a mixing bowl and toss them up with the olive oil, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and parmesan cheese.
- Spread out the sprouts in your air fryer tray or basket.
- Cook in the air fryer at 325 degrees F for 10-12 minutes, until outer leaves are deep brown and crispy.
No air fryer? You can still make smashed brussels sprouts in your oven! You just need to adjust cooking temperature and time.
To make smashed Brussels sprouts in the oven, parboil and season the Brussels sprouts as outlined above. Then spread them out on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
Use high heat at 425 degrees F to roast them for 15-20 minutes, or until the outer leaves are browned and crispy.
Storing smashed Brussels sprouts
Storage: Prepare sprouts and store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days.
Reheating: Reheat smashed Brussels sprouts in the oven or air fryer at 300 degrees until warmed through. This helps them get crispy again, as opposed to using the microwave to reheat them.
Keywords: smashed brussels sprouts, crispy brussels sprouts, cooking brussels sprouts in the air fryer, air fryer brussels sprouts