This creamy vegan pasta recipe combines ripe tomatoes with rosé wine and fresh basil to create a comforting blush pasta sauce that’s completely dairy free. The rosé pasta sauce is velvety, comforting, and packed full of flavor.
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup white onion, diced
- 1/2 cup dry rosé wine
- 4 good large tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 lb rigatoni, or similar pasta
- Soak cashews in hot water for at least 30 minutes.
- Make cashew cream. Add soaked cashews in water to a high powered blender. Add a dash of salt and nutritional yeast. Blend on high for 1-2 minutes until smooth and creamy. Add a few tbsp of water if you need to help blend.
- Pour cashew cream into a bowl and set aside and rinse out blender.
- Heat olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, and a generous grind of salt and pepper. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally until onion is translucent, being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add rosé to the pan and turn up the heat a bit. Cook until liquid has reduced by half, about 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes, basil, and red pepper flakes, reduce to a simmer, and cook for 15 minutes until tomatoes are broken apart and super soft, stirring occasionally.
- Remove sauce from heat and add to your blender (you can also use an immersion blender). Blend on high until sauce is creamy.
- Pour sauce back into the saute pan and stir in the cashew cream.
- Add lemon juice and more salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Reserve 1/4 cup of pasta water.
- Add cooked pasta and pasta water to the pan with sauce. Stir gently to coat the pasta in the sauce
- Portion into bowls, garnish with fresh basil and enjoy with a glass of rosé!
Storing leftover pasta
If you have leftover pasta, you can store it in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat in a microwave safe bowl covered with a paper towel or parchment paper in the microwave.
You can also prepare the sauce ahead of time and store it in a jar in the fridge for 5-7 days. Just give it a stir before reheating and using it. Store the sauce in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Keywords: tomato basil sauce, creamy tomato sauce, rose wine pasta sauce, blush pasta sauce