This vegan broccoli and leek soup is light, nutritious, and delicious. It’s packed with nutrition and extra creamy thanks to a secret ingredient – white beans! Ready in about 30 minutes, make a batch today for an easy lunch or dinner.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large leeks, white and light green parts sliced and cleaned
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 small heads or 1 large head broccoli, chopped into florets
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 32-oz carton vegetable broth
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- In a heavy bottomed large soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and leeks and cook for a few minutes until fragrant, stirring occasionally.
- Add the broccoli to the pot, along with a generous pinch of salt, pepper, and the red pepper flakes. Stir it up and cook for another 3-5 minutes until broccoli is bright green.
- Pour the veggie broth into the pot with the white beans.
- Bring the liquid to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Cover and simmer for 5-10 minutes, until broccoli is soft and fork tender. Add the lemon juice.
- If using a blender, transfer the soup to blender pitcher with a ladle. Blend on high for 30 seconds – 1 minute until smooth and creamy, with no lumps remaining. If using an immersion blender, just puree the soup right in the pot. You may want to keep a little texture in the soup based on personal preference.
- Portion into bowls, top with croutons if desired, and enjoy.
How to clean leeks
As you can see, leeks have many tight layers which can easily trap dirt sand. It’s important to clean leeks before you cook with them to get rid of all this debris.
To clean leeks, slice them up into thin rounds. Place them in a bowl filled with cold water. Separate some of the layers with your hands and let the leeks soak in the water for 5-10 minutes. The debris will sink to the bottom of the bowl while the leeks float on top.
Scoop out the leeks from the water and pat them dry. Now they are ready to cook!
Can I prepare this soup recipe in advance?
This broccoli leek soup is great for meal prep, because it stores well and tastes great reheated. Store it in a large airtight container for 3-5 days in the fridge. Reheat individual portions in the microwave for 1-2 minutes until warmed to desired temperature.
Freezing soup: You can also store this soup in the freezer for up to 3 months. Measure out soup in individual portions into freezer safe containers. Leave about an inch of space to allow for the liquid to expand as it freezes.
Keywords: broccoli leek soup, broccoli and leek soup recipe, vegan creamy soup, how to clean leeks