Cheesy Cauliflower Gratin
Nobody will be able to resist this cheesy cauliflower gratin! It’s the perfect way to get picky eaters to eat their vegetables.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6 1x
- Category: side dish
- 8 cups cauliflower florets (1 large head cauliflower)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp flour (I used whole wheat pastry flour)
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese, plus more for sprinkling on top.
- Parsley for garnishing, if desired
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Fill a large soup pot 2/3 full with water and bring to a boil.
- Boil cauliflower for 4 minutes, so it is cooked slightly but still crunchy. Drain and set aside.
- Heat olive oil on medium heat in a skillet.
- Add flour, and whisk continuously for 1-2 minutes to make a roux. (The roux might be grainy when you first add the flour. Whisking will make the roux smooth).
- Heat almond milk until it is warm (not boiling).
- Add heated milk to the roux, whisking continuously for another 1-2 minutes until smooth and thickened.
- Once sauce is thickened, add cheese until melted.
- Spread a thin layer of cheese sauce over the bottom of a cast iron skillet.
- Add cauliflower, then pour remaining cheese sauce over cauliflower.
- Top with more parmesan cheese. I used about 1/4 cup.
- Bake for 25 minutes until cheese sauce is melted and cauliflower is fork tender.
- Turn on broiler and broil for 1-2 minutes until top is browned and crispy.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve immediately while hot. Just be careful not to touch the skillet!
Keywords: cauliflower gratin, cauliflower recipe, thanksgiving recipe