This cauliflower and kale pasta has lots of healthy vegetables, savory capers, and parmesan cheese, all tossed in the most delicious lemon, garlic, and white wine sauce. It’s easy enough to make for a weeknight meal!
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into bite size florets
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 5 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 6 cups curly kale, roughly torn into pieces
- 1 cup dry white wine
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 lb whole wheat linguine
- 1/2 cup pasta water reserved from pasta cooking
- 1/4 cup capers
- 1/2 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- Preheat oven to 415 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss cauliflower florets in olive oil, lemon zest, and a generous shake of salt and pepper. Roast for 20-25 minutes, until fork tender and starting to turn golden brown and crispy.
- While cauliflower roasts, prepare the kale and sauce. Heat half the olive oil in a large saute pan on medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant (about 1 minute). Be careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Stir in the kale, tossing to coat in the garlic and oil. Let cook for 1-2 minutes until kale begins to wilt.
- Add half the white wine and half the lemon juice to the kale. Stir to mix everything up. The wine will reduce and the liquid will significantly decrease. Once this happens, add the rest of the wine and lemon juice and repeat. Reduce to a simmer to keep warm until pasta and cauliflower are done cooking.
- Cook pasta in salted water according to package instructions. Don’t forget to reserve pasta cooking water before straining.
- Add the pasta to the kale and sauce pan with the reserved pasta water. Stir up the pasta to coat it all in the sauce.
- Stir in the capers, parsley, and parmesan cheese until well combined. Add more salt to taste, if needed.
- Stir in the roasted cauliflower.
- Serve in bowls topped with more freshly grated parmesan and fresh cracked pepper, if desired.
Keywords: cauliflower and kale pasta, vegetarian