This healthy blueberry salad makes a perfect summer side dish. It’s packed with simple ingredients including farro, walnuts, arugula, and avocado. Ready in under 30 minutes, it’s a delicious and nutritious weeknight win!
Blueberry Basil Salad with Avocado and Farro
- 1 cup dry farro
- 4 cups arugula
- 1 cup blueberries, washed
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced
- 1/3 cup red onion, diced small
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- Prepare the farro according to package instructions. Let cool to room temperature.
- Combine arugula, blueberries, avocado, red onion, walnuts, basil, and cooked farro in a large salad bowl.
- Add the salad dressing ingredients to a jar with a pinch of salt and pepper. Close the jar and shake vigorously to combine.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and gently toss to combine everything.
This salad is best served right after it’s been dressed. If you’d like to prepare the salad ahead of time, wait until just before serving to add the avocado and the salad dressing.
Ingredient swaps for dietary restrictions
- . Swap out the farro for a gluten free grain. I think this salad would be excellent with quinoa!
- Make it nut free. If you have a nut allergy, you can omit the walnuts in favor of another crunchy ingredient. Try this salad with pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, parmesan crisps, or croutons.
Keywords: blueberry salad, salads with fruit, summer salad, farro salad