- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup white onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 2 cups carrots, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Kosher salt
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 3/4 cup pearled farro
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 packed cups curly kale, chopped
- Shredded parmesan cheese, for serving
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large stock pot.
- Add onion, celery, carrots, and garlic, and a generous pinch of salt and a few grinds of pepper.
- Cook for about five minutes, until vegetables begin to soften, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic powder, smoked paprika, Italian seasoning, and tomato paste. Stir everything together and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the bell pepper and pearled farro. Toss everything together and let the farro toast for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the canned diced tomatoes and vegetable broth. Give everything a good stir. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover.
- Cook for 25-30 minutes, until farro is cooked through – it will be tender yet still chewy when done.
- Stir in the chickpeas and kale. Cover and cook for another five minutes on low heat until kale is wilted.
- Portion into bowls for serving. Sprinkle with shredded parmesan cheese, if desired.
Keywords: recipes with farro, farro recipes, farro vegetable soup