This oven baked cod with lemon and capers is a simple yet delicious healthy entree. It’s easy enough to make on a weeknight and comes together in 30 minutes or less.
- 2 pounds fresh cod fish, cut into 4 servings
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 whole lemons
- Kosher salt
- 2 tbsp capers drained from their liquid
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- Fresh parsley, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Arrange the cod fillets on a plate and drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil, juice of 1 lemon, and a generous shake of salt and pepper. Let the cod marinate in this while the oven is heating up.
- Transfer the cod to a 7.5 ” x 10.5″ or 9″ x 13″ ceramic baking dish (it is fine if the pieces overlap a bit).
- Top the cod with capers, fresh thyme, minced garlic, and remaining olive oil.
- Slice the remaining lemon into rounds and arrange the slices on top of the cod. Add a few sprigs of fresh thyme if you have them.
- Bake in the oven for 15-17 minutes, until fish is an internal temperature of 145 degrees F, and is opaque and flakes easily with a fork. Cook time will depend on the amount and thickness of fish.
- Remove from oven and let sit for a minute or two before serving.
How to reheat fish
Fish really does taste best when it is freshly prepared, but I know that sometimes we have leftovers or want to meal prep! You can reheat fish in a few ways:
Microwave: Put cod fish in a microwave safe shallow bowl or on a plate with a little bit of the liquid from cooking. Microwave for 1-2 minutes depending on the amount you are heating.
Oven: Heat up the oven to 300 degrees F. Add the fish in a baking dish and pop it in the oven for 10-15 minutes, until warmed through.
Keywords: lemon roasted cod, baked cod with lemon, cod with lemon and capers