This vegetarian breakfast sandwich is such a delicious way to enjoy avocado. You need just about 10 minutes to prepare the flavorful and healthy fried egg sandwich. This egg sandwich is delicious on a toasted english muffin or your favorite bread!
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 green onions, white and light green parts thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Kosher Salt
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 English muffins
- 2 tsp butter
- 1/2 cup baby spinach
- Scoop the avocado into a small mixing bowl. Add sliced green onions, lemon juice, a generous pinch of Kosher salt, and a grind of pepper.
- Mash the avocado up with a fork until smooth, as if you were making guacamole. Set aside.
- Heat up olive oil in a medium nonstick skillet over low-medium heat.
- Crack eggs into the heated skillet. Cook for 1-2 minutes, until the whites are mostly set, but there are still some areas that are uncooked. Season eggs with salt and pepper.
- Place a lid over the skillet with the eggs. Keep the lid on for 30 seconds for runny eggs or 1-2 minutes for hard eggs.
- Remove the lid and turn off the heat.
- While the eggs are cooking, toast the English muffins. Spread a little butter on each side.
- Assemble the egg sandwiches: add half the mashed avocado to the bottom of each English muffin, followed by a fried egg, 4-5 leaves of baby spinach, and the top of the muffin.
Recipe variations and substitutions
- Instead of English muffin, use your favorite bread such as sourdough or multigrain.
- Make it spicy by adding a drizzle of your favorite hot sauce to the egg sandwich.
- Swap arugula for baby spinach.
- Use chives, or another fresh herb, instead of green onions.
- Make it vegan by using a vegan egg replacement or a slice of pan fried tofu in place of the egg, and vegan butter to butter the english muffin.
Keywords: avocado egg sandwich, how to fry an egg, vegetarian breakfast sandwich