This easy homemade pizza is topped with homemade basil pesto, fresh asparagus, and melty mozzarella cheese. Use your favorite store bought pizza dough for a delicious meal ready in 30 minutes!
- 1 cup basil
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 1 clove garlic
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large shallot, sliced
- 1 pound asparagus, woody ends removed and chopped into 1 inch pieces
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Pinch of pepper
- 1 store bought fresh pizza dough
- 6–8 slices of fresh mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- To a food processor, add basil, parmesan cheese, pine nuts, garlic, lemon juice, and salt. Blend until ingredients are combined but still slightly chunky.
- Add the olive oil to the food processor and pulse about 5 times to combine it with the other ingredients.
- Heat the olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add the shallots and asparagus and a pinch of salt and pepper to taste. Cook for about five minutes, stirring occasionally until asparagus is fork tender but still crisp.
- Stretch out the pizza dough using your hands on a lightly floured surface. Transfer the shaped dough onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Spoon the pesto onto the pizza dough and spread it out into an even layer.
- Add the mozzarella cheese on top of the pesto, and then evenly spread out the cooked asparagus and shallots on top of the cheese.
- Cook in the oven on the middle rack for 10-15 minutes. Pizza will be done when the crust is crispy and golden brown on the outside and bottom of the pizza.
- Let pizza cool for a minute, then slice and serve.
How to reheat pizza
The best way to reheat day old pizza is in the oven. To do so, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lay out your pizza slices on a baking sheet and place the baking sheet in the middle rack of the oven.
Bake for about 10 minutes, or until cheese is melty and warmed through. Bake for longer if you prefer an even crispier crust.
Keywords: asparagus pizza, pesto sauce pizza, how to cook pizza in the oven