This arugula burrata salad with butternut squash is a delicious, nutritious, and easy-to-make side dish to make any meal feel special. Creamy burrata cheese, peppery arugula, and sweet roasted butternut squash make for an unexpected yet mouthwatering flavor combination. Ready to enjoy in about 30 minutes.
- 1 ball burrata cheese
- 4 1/2 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1/3 cup whole raw almonds – toasted
- 5 cups arugula
- 1 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
- Remove burrata cheese from fridge and drain. Set it on the counter in a small bowl so it comes to room temperature as you make the salad.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Peel butternut squash, remove seeds, and cut into 1/2 – 1 inch cubes.
- Toss butternut squash cubes in 1 tbsp olive oil, a pinch of salt and pepper, and fresh thyme.
- Spread the butternut squash cubes onto the prepared baking sheet. Roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes, until fork tender and edges begin to brown.
- Place almonds on another baking sheet (unlined). Toast them in the oven for 5-7 minutes. Remove them and let cool to about room temperature, then roughly chop the almonds.
- Place arugula in a salad bowl or mixing bowl. Add the remaining olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and a pinch of salt. Toss the arugula to coat in the oil and vinegar.
- Assemble the salad: spread out the arugula in a layer on a serving platter. Add the butternut squash cubes. Use your hands to break the burrata into pieces and place them on the butternut squash. Sprinkle with toasted chopped almonds and chopped parsley.
- Serve with a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of crunchy sea salt.
Can I prepare arugula burrata salad in advance?
This salad is best served right when it is prepared. Otherwise, the arugula greens get soggy after a few hours and when stored in the fridge.
If you’d like, you can prepare the individual components in advance. Roast the butternut squash, toast and chop the almonds, and chop the parsley. Then you just need about five minutes to assemble the salad and serve!