This simple one-pan frittata features nutritious broccoli and two types of cheeses: cheddar and gruyere. Start by cooking it on the stovetop and finishing it in the oven to yield a fluffy vegetable frittata that’s perfect for breakfast, lunch, or dinner!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup white onion, diced
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 4 cups broccoli, cut into bite size florets
- 12 large eggs
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup gruyere cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Crack the eggs into a mixing bowl. Add the Greek yogurt and a generous shake of salt and pepper.
- Whisk this all together until cohesive. It’s OK if there are a few small lumps of yogurt remaining. Set aside.
- In a 12-inch cast iron skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the white onion and stir, cooking for 1-2 minutes until they are translucent.
- Add the scallions and broccoli to the skillet. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir everything up and continue to cook for 5-7 minutes, until the broccoli is bright green but still a bit firm.
- Spread the vegetables around into an even layer in the skillet.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Pour the whisked eggs into the skillet. Give everything a gentle stir to evenly distribute the eggs.
- Cook frittata on the stovetop on low heat for 2-3 minutes, until the edges just begin to set.
- Using oven mitts, transfer the skillet to the oven.
- Cook in the oven for 10-15 minutes, until the center is just set. It will still be slightly jiggly, but bounce back to the touch.
- Let the frittata cool for 5 minutes before slicing into 8 pieces.
Can I prepare frittatas in advance?
Yes, frittatas can be prepared ahead of time, making them a great option for meal prep. Just cover the cooked frittata with plastic wrap and store it in the fridge for 3-5 days.
You can reheat the whole frittata in the oven set to 300 degrees. Heat it for 15-20 minutes, or until it is heated through. Or, you can heat individual portions in the microwave for about 45 seconds.
Keywords: broccoli frittata, broccoli cheese frittata, cast iron skillet frittata