Love steel cut oats, but hate how long they take to cook? Cooking steel cut oats in the microwave cuts down preparation time by more than half. You can have a nutritious bowl of steel cut oatmeal ready to eat in about 10 minutes! Add your favorite healthy oatmeal toppings for a filling and delicious weekday breakfast.
- 1/2 cup dry steel cut oats
- Scant 2 cups water
- Add steel cut oats and water to a deep microwave-safe bowl. I used a 2.5 quart bowl.
- Microwave on high for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the microwave (with oven mitts if the bowl is hot), and stir well.
- Return the bowl to the microwave and microwave for another 5 minutes.
- Give the oatmeal another good stir. If still watery, microwave for another 1-2 minutes.
- Stir the oats well and let them sit for 1-2 minutes.
- Portion oats into two serving bowls. Add your favorite oatmeal toppings and enjoy!
Healthy oatmeal toppings
- Fresh fruit: blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, banana, apple, mango, pomegranate seeds
- Dried fruit: raisins, dried cranberries, dates, dried figs, dried blueberries, shredded coconut
- Nuts and seeds: toasted almonds, toasted pecans, hemp seeds, ground flax seeds, pistachios, walnuts, sunflower seeds
- Nut butter: peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter, tahini
- Spices: ginger, cardamom, turmeric, nutmeg
- Dairy: a splash of milk (or plant-based milk), a dollop of Greek yogurt, a dollop of labne
- Sweetener: A few teaspoons of maple syrup, honey, or brown sugar
You can prepare microwave steel cut oatmeal up to three days in advance. Store cooked oatmeal in an airtight container in the fridge.
When you are ready to eat it, mash up the cooked oatmeal a bit with a fork and add a splash of milk. Microwave for 1 -2 minutes, or until warmed through.
Add the toppings after reheating the oatmeal.
Keywords: steel cut oats in microwave, microwave steel cut oats, cooking steel cut oats, steel cut oats nutrition